Yesterday after work I decided to try out the turbo kick class at my gym. I used to do kickboxing back at UM and freaking LOVED it. It kicked my ass and got me into great shape.
But this Turbo Kick nonsense wasn’t messing around. I don’t think I’ve ever been so sweaty after a workout! It was crazy fast-paced and choreographed almost like a step class, but involved punching and kicking.
Violent exercise = happy Sam.
Rather than sleep in this morning before the gym, I got up and made some bomb smoothies for the boy and I, and packed our lunches. I’m so domestic.
Glutes and legs were SCREAMING at me this morning between the kickboxing and Sunday’s squat extravaganza so the bike ride this morning was tender to say the least.
and THEN when I got to the gym, I was in for a big surprise!
What?! I thought I was out of school??? It’s SUMMER.
Nobutseriously, my trainer had me take over the workout this morning. My mission: a circuit series that worked legs, shoulders and core.
Well the Virgo in me initially panicked: what?! I didn’t review for this! I need lists and color coordinated reference charts!
But then I took a breath and tried to remember what exercises worked what muscles. I mean, really, I’ve been working out pretty regularly for 4 years, I know SOME things at this point.
Here’s what I came up with:
Circuits – 3 exercises/circuit, 3 sets each circuit
- Bosu Lunge Medicine Ball Woodchop (10lb ball, 15/leg)
- Seated overhead press (15 reps)
- Mountain Climbers on bench with a push-up – Right leg in, left leg in, push up = 1 rep; 15 reps)
- Step up ski lunges – Basically a plyo lunge, on a raised step (I added 3 of the raisers). Stay low and keep moving (20 reps per leg)
- V sit-ups (40 reps)
- Lateral Delt Raises (15 reps)
- Helix (1 minute) – if don’t have access to a Helix, choose another cardio machine and go all out for 1 minute
- TRX overhead shoulder flies (I don’t think this is the right name) – hold the TRX bands and lean back; hands should be at about waist height. Pull yourself upright as your raise your arms over your head (15 reps)
- Bird/Dog (20 reps/side)
- TRX plyo squat – like a regular plyo jump squat, just hold the TRX bands to get lower and lean back farther (15 reps)
- Squat Oblique Twist – couldn’t find a good picture. Basically, get in a low squat position. Hold the two sides of a free weight at about waist height. Twist the weight and your torso to the right, left hand on top, right on the bottom, contracting your obliques. Return to center. Repeat on the other side. (15 reps/side)
- Upright rows (15 reps)
- Step ups holding a barbell – UP UP, DOWN DOWN = 1 rep (25 reps starting right, 25 reps starting left)
- Concentrated side deltoid raise – Kind of like this, except rather than raise the entire arm, lift just the forearm from the elbow, keeping the elbow tucked in to your side (15 reps/side)
- Straight leg raises (20 reps)
There you have it! Cool down with 20 minutes on the elliptical. You should be sweaty, tired, and hungry
Overall, I’m pretty proud of myself. I had a couple brain fart moments, and will definitely be reviewing shoulders, but I think I can actually do this personal trainer thing!
Which is good, cause I’m gonna need to keep working out a lot to eat all this good food: